Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ginger Carrot Soup - Dairy Free (Dawn)



My mom brought me some fresh carrots from her garden today so I decided to try making soup. I went online and found the following dairy free recipe for Ginger Carrot Soup and I really like it! We had it with dinner and then I put the rest in jars for the freezer. (Note all of the chopping!) lol

Ginger Carrot Soup
1 large white onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped apples
1 T. minced fresh ginger
2 T. honey
1 1/2 cups plain rice milk (or soy)
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper

1. In a 3-quart (or larger) stockpot over medium-high heat, heat 1.5 quarts of water with the onion and celery. Bring to a boil and add the carrots. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Add the apples and ginger. Simmer for 20 more minutes.

2. Working in batches, blend the soup starting at the lowest speed and work up to the highest speed until the soup is creamy. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the honey, rice milk and salt. Cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes or until soup reaches desired temperature and consistency, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - this looks SO good... I think I'll get some carrots from the farmer's market and make a double batch (freezing some, like you did)!

    Photo is great too!

    ReplyDelete